Essay writing requires formal communication which most students are getting poorer in due to the increasing influence of the various platforms of social media. In writing essays, it is imperative to make use of a formal tone. Students are advised to use some particular words and phrases so as to convey formality in their writing.
Since conversational and casual phrases and words should not be used in scholarly writing, students are necessitated to learn appropriate phrases and words to use in their paper writing. That being said, it is also worth noting that academic writing does not have to be long-winded and wordy. Most students mistakenly think that academic essays use only jargon, which couldn’t be farther from the truth. This leads students to believe the erroneous notion that the more complicated and longer a word is, the more intellectually competent an individual seems.
It is not uncommon to find extremely and confusing sentences filled with numerous multisyllabic words instead of using shorter and uncomplicated words. A few students even go as far as using a thesaurus so as to replace simple words with bombastic and sophisticated-sounding words.
To show absolute brilliance, a writer needs to use the appropriate language. A writer could be making a compelling point with a plausible argument; however, if the point is not conveyed in an articulate and intelligent manner, then it is all for naught. Improving one’s skills in communicating so as to build a compelling argument and to proceed to write that point in an effective way is extremely crucial if one is looking to write the essays that stand out.
Using large, bombastic, and incomprehensible words is quite risky when it comes to writing academic papers. Unless the writer is extremely careful, it is quite easy to use a word that does not have the same meaning as the intended simple word. The impact of using such words range widely from being confusing to even funny, neither of which is the purpose of academic writing.
The two major objectives of writing academic papers are so as to convey information as concisely and clearly as possible. Therefore, writers should always strive to use only the right words for conveying their arguments. Trying to use only uncommonly used words and phrases instead of making the paper seem smarter, distracts the audience from your ideas and arguments.
To avoid falling into the aforementioned trap of using complicated words, students are advised to make use of impeccable transition or linking words. Transition and linking words signpost arguments and help writers to explain and clarify their views while demonstrating to the audience that the points presented in the paper are compelling. Using these words appropriately helps in creating a structure for the paper. The writer is able to organize their ideas in a more understandable manner.
To help students in finding the perfect essay words to bring out the required formality in essays, this article explores some of the best linking words essay writing to use in their essay writing. Here, the best linking words for essay writing are explored for use in improving one’s writing.
The list below of some of the words to use in essay writing is not totally exhaustive. However, the words in this list are just a small proportion of the innumerable phrases and words which writers can use in greatly enhancing their paper writing.
- In order to – this phrase makes an explanation for some argument; Said differently; in simple parlance – these two phrases are used in explaining some point made by the writer in a different manner. These phrases should not be used to regurgitate what the writer said before but instead to explain a point differently. They can also be used in wound up what one is talking about.
- Alternatively; on the other hand; conversely; on the contrary – these phrases provide a seamless way of bringing up another point that is contrary to the one mentioned before. With these phrases, the writer is able to introduce another side of an argument.
- Along with; coupled with; as well as – writers should use these phrases when they need to join different things. These words, however, don’t work similarly as the conjunction ‘and’ in regards to the sentence subject-verb agreement. These phrases, however, serve an almost similar purpose as the as the conjunction ‘and.’
- In light of; in view of – these are good words to use in an essay to in acknowledging reservations in an argument. Either of these phrases can be used when showing that some evidence adds a new proviso to the argument.
- In giving an illustration of; for instance – for an academic essay to be compelling, the writer has to back up each and every point that they provide. Making use of the phrase ‘for example’ all the time gets tedious for the audience. These two phrases can be used to replace ‘for example.’
- Compelling; persuasive – these two are the perfect words to conclude an essay and explain the parts of the paper that are the most convincing.
- This suggests that; it is evident that; the consequence of this is; therefore; it can be derived that – when trying to explain the impact or significance of some of the results obtained from a study or research, the above-mentioned phrases are perfect for leading the writer to the explanation.
Our professionals also highlight some of the best Australian essay transition words to improve your paper writing. Using good essay words to show transition is important to avoid writing choppy essays. It is crucial to ensure that the words used to show transition are used naturally in the paper. These words should help the audience easily read through the writer’s most complex thoughts and ideas. That being said, it is also important to make sure that one is intentional with the way they structure their paper and how they form each of the paragraphs that make up the paper.
Besides the fact that comprehensive writing is achieved by deliberately sequencing all ideas in the paper, the writer can also guide the audience by using connections formed through the use of impeccably chosen transition words. Using transition words appropriately can help one to create links that are very powerful between their ideas and thus helping the readers to easily comprehend the paper.
Below are some of the most frequently and great transition words for essay writing:
These are words that connect the instigators of an event to the consequences of the event:
- On account of;
These are words that connect issues with respect to the moment of occurrence:
These words are used in giving a sense of combining more than one thing:
- In addition;
These words connect two different things by laying focus on the differences between these things:
- In contrast;
These words are perfect for creating a connection between a more general idea to a specific detail or instance of that general idea:
- For example;
- In a demonstration of;
- That is.
These words connect what is considered critical to something that is rather inconsequential:
Transition words for location are perfect for making the connection of elements in accordance with the location that they are placed with respect to each other:
These words create connections between things by making suggestions that these things have some similarities:
- In the same way;
- By the same token;
- In a similar fashion.
These words are used to give a sense of closure:
- To conclude.
The principal goal of most writers is so as to present thoughts and ideas comprehensively and clearly. Writers need to present their ideas in an articulate and logical way that seems natural to the audience. To achieve this perfectly, it takes practice and putting the effort in choosing the right words for their papers.
That being said, it is imperative that students make preparations by acquainting themselves with the right words for improving their writing. Using the best and appropriate linking and transition words in paper writing does not necessarily guarantee students of getting perfect scores for their essays, but one thing is for certain; with these words, their writing will significantly improve.
The above-mentioned examples of words for paper writing should help students in improving their essay writing and making it more effective. It is completely understandable if students still face difficulties with using these words appropriately. These students can rely on our service for comprehensive help in creating an essay with the right word choice.
All the students need to do is place an order and wait for their work to be handled by expert and professional writers. Students can completely rely on our service to aid them in creating work that uses Aussie words and idioms appropriately.